August 15, 2008
NYC Food Guy Note: I’m on vacation in California so I’m sending you on a NY Food Tour to keep your stomach happy while I’m gone. Enjoy the deliciousness.
Above: Jumpin Joe (Chocolate Chip cookie with Chocolate Chip Espresso Gelato)
From left to right: Cocoa Monster, Grasshopper, Jumpin Joe
- What: This small bakery sandwiches Il Laboratoria del Gelato’s flavorful gelato between cookies baked fresh on premises. Use their menu or create your own. You can always opt for the freshest cookie but my favorite, warm or cool, is the classic chocolate chip with the simple vanilla gelato.
- Cost: $4.88+ tax per ice cream cookie sandwich (Hey, it’s New York)
- Where: 19 Commerce Street near 7th Avenue South NY, NY 10014 (212) 243-1640
- Website: http://www.milkandcookiesbakery.com/
- Inside info: Steer clear of the Grasshopper, featuring a Chocolate Mint Cookie with Fresh Mint Gelato, it tasted like tooth paste. On a more positive note, the director of the French Culinary Institute owns Milk & Cookies so you can feel confident in any of the decadent baked goods that line the counter.